Since moving in early December I have noticed that I haven’t been feeling great. My physical health has been fine but emotionally I’ve been pretty down. I don’t know when it started but in March I figured out that I was pretty depressed. When I talked to Nick about how I was feeling he asked me what the problem was. I realized as I tried to explain it to him that it was that I wasn’t doing anything.
Since leaving Seattle to live “in the country” there hasn’t been much for me to do. It really is a slower pace of living out here. In Seattle my morning walks to the corner Starbucks got me out and moving. Walking to the cute shops down the road or to our favorite restaurant made me feel connected to the outside world. Now that I don’t have those things I feel very alone. There have been times where I wont leave the house for a week unless it’s to drop off or pick up the boys from school. All that time alone in the house has had a negative impact on me.
Now that I have figured this out, I’ve come up with the idea that I need to do me to feel better. I wrote out a list of things I want to do in the month of April and I’m going to do them. These are not goals that I want to work on for the month. They are one-off things that I want to check of my list. My feel better list. Here it is for April.
Feel Better List For April
- Spend the day at the salon. It has been a year since I have gotten my hair cut. It’s been 2 years since I’ve had my eyebrows waxed. Although my hair looks pretty decent and my eyebrows still have great shape I want to take better care of myself. That means spending time and money at the salon this month.
- I am going to finally get that industrial piercing I have wanted since I was 16. After putting this off for 13 years because I was worried what people would think of me, a mother, getting an industrial piercing. I was more concerned what others would think of me than what would make me happy. Now that I’m pushing 30 I don’t really care what others think. I’m getting this piercing and all the 40 something moms in the carpool line can suck it!
- I’m going to go to the movies alone. I know some people will think this is a weird one but I really do want to go to the movies alone. To be able to see the movie I want without having to worry about anyone else and I can get the candy and drink of my choosing without having to share. On top of that, if I can time it right I may be able to pay matinée prices during the day.
- I’m finally going to take the boys to Fort Ward. I have wanted to take the boys out to walk around this abandoned military fort turned park since we moved and now I’m going to do it. The weather normally get warmer and drier in April but if it doesn’t we’re still going to spend a day trekking the trails at Fort Ward.
- I’m going to take the kids to the SEA Discovery Center. When we lived in Seattle we had a yearly pass to the aquarium and the kids loved it. Now that we don’t live close to the Seattle aquarium I’ve been on the hunt for new things to do with the kids. I think this place would be great to try out because it is completely free which is great for a family living on a budget. There is no excuse to not take them and to have a nice afternoon out of the house.