What was the most memorable part of this past month?
Odin’s last day of 3rd grade and Gray’s last day of Kindergarten. Also, packing, packing and more packing. Gray’s 7th birthday! Then, a long 5-day drive from Seattle to the Twin Cities. Unpacking. And the worst of the month was having to put our eldest ferret, Cash, down. A lot has happened this June.
What were the three biggest lessons you’ve learned in this past month?
1) You can’t help someone who doesn’t want to help themselves.
2) Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong no matter how hard you try to make them right.
3) Don’t move, it’s traumatizing.
How are you different between this past month and the month before it?
If I’m keeping it 100, I’m more exhausted, have a shorter fuse and zero tolerance for other people. All I really want is to have my stuff back from the movers, return the moving truck and have time to slowly move things back into the house.
What or who are you especially grateful for this past month?
Everyone who helped us move. My brother-in-law helped us pack and watched the kids for us. Then my in-laws drove out to eastern Washington with us. And of coarse my parents and sister who helped us unpack everything and by everything I mean 2 moving trucks. I am certain that we couldn’t have done everything without the help of our family.
Name three things you can improve on next month. What are concrete actions you can
take to work towards these improvements?
1) Eating better. All of June was spent packing and moving. That meant a lot of eating out. Because of that I went off my diet and gained weight again. In July I plan to go back on my Weight Watchers diet and not eat out if I can help it.
2) Waking up earlier. I’m naturally a night owl but there are times when I wake up early for no reason. On those days I get more done. Staying up late does give me time but not the kind of time that is useful to me. In July I’m going to start waking up at 5 a.m.
3) Being more open and outgoing. I’m a shy person. It has always been very hard for me to be open and make small talk with people. I think that it comes off as being unfriendly but that’s not my intention. In July I really want to work on being more friendly and talking more. We have a lot of new neighbors who have kids and I’d really love to make new friends as we are probably here for the long haul.
From 1-10, how do you feel overall about this past month?
1! Moving suck and buying a house sucks too. Everything that could go wrong, literally, went wrong. From our lender missing the closing date not once, not twice but three times! To our home insurance people misquoting us and then on the day of closing changing the quote again! Oh, and let us not forget how FedEx sent our closing papers to Kentucky instead of Minnesota. Like how? How do that many things go wrong? And on top of all that, the drive was long and hard. In the end, it had weakened our ferret Cash who had an adrenal disease which caused him to break out into a very painful rash that the vet didn’t think he could recover from.